Creating an Agile task board, or a product roadmap, is a good way to sort your product backlog list into sprints, and OnePager Express will create these task boards quickly and easily, using the backlog you are already storing in Excel. OnePager Express is a Microsoft Excel add-in, so you can launch it directly from Excel without having to export or convert your data. Download a free trial to start building your own agile task boards.
- Open your backlog list in Excel:
- Insert a "Status" column (Column D, shown above) into Excel. Enter the status for each task (e.g. funded, prioritized, etc.) OnePager Express will color-code your tasks based on status after you import everyting from Excel.
- Next, insert a "Backlog Category" column (Column E in this example) into the spreadsheet, as shown above. Specify the category for each item on your backlog in this column. OnePager Express will group and sort based on this column after you import your backlog.
- Click the OnePager Express button, which appears on Excel's Add-Ins tab. (If you haven't purchased OnePager Express yet, you can download a 15-day free trial.) From the Start screen, choose New.
- Give your task board a name and status date, then click Next >:
- Now, tell OnePager Express which Excel columns you want to import for the task board, and then click Create new project view.
- OnePager Express will import your backlog from Excel and begin to create a product roadmap, but we'll want to make a few quick modifications.
- Go to Home > Project View Properties. On the Task Bars tab, find the Task labels setting, and change the properties so that the text is centered:
- Before exiting this form, navigate to the Rows/Swimlanes tab and change the Rows settings to Collect tasks into rows by the "Backlog Category" column from Excel, as shown below:
- Press OK. Your task board should now look like this:
- You can make a few cosmetic changes, if you would like to fine-tune the appearance of your agile task board:
That's it! You've now used OnePager Express to create a task board or agile product roadmap using the backlog list you have in Microsoft Excel.
If you'd like to customize your OnePager Express product roadmap before sharing it in a daily standup, it's very easy to do:
- Change colors, symbols, fonts and layouts
- Show original sprint dates or percent complete
- Add comment boxes, text boxes, or images to your task board
Best of all, OnePager will save you hours of time and frustration every week, and saves you the hassle of updating your roadmap presentation each time your backlog changes.15-Day