OnePager Express is presentation software for Excel that allows you to create timelines, Gantt charts, and project reports all based on your existing Excel spreadsheet. This article will show you how, and you can download a free trial to follow along.
- Start with your Microsoft Excel schedule. OnePager Express can use any kind of Excel spreadsheet for the schedule, so yours doesn't have to look identical to the one below, but it's a good starting point:
This spreadsheet contains a column for the task name, start date and finish date. Optionally, you can add information about the phase of the project, resources, progress, and even a filter to select which tasks from the spreadsheet you want to include in your timeline.
- Double-click the OnePager Express icon on your desktop. From the Start screen that appears, click New, and choose your Excel spreadsheet as the source file for your project timeline. This will launch the easy import wizard:
We'll give our timeline a name, and specify a snapshot (status) date so that we can make revisions later.
- Click the Next button on the wizard to choose which columns from Excel you would like to import:
If you use standard names for the columns in your spreadsheet, OnePager Express will guess them automatically for you. However, you can always choose to import a different column than the one that OnePager Express suggests.
- Next, click the Create new project view to import your schedule into OnePager Express. You'll automatically get a timeline like this:
OnePager Express automatically grouped the timeline into swimlanes by the category in the Excel spreadsheet, and color-coded each task based on the resource assignment. This is the default view, but can be customized to fit any kind of format you need.
- Just like PowerPoint, you can change fonts, colors and layouts in your OnePager Express chart. Once you're ready to share it, it's easy to copy and paste into PowerPoint or into an e-mail to your colleagues.
OnePager Express is the easiest way to build project timelines, Gantt charts, and schedule reports if you are managing your projects using an Excel spreadsheet.15-Day