OnePager Express is a project management tool that imports project plans from multiple Excel spreadsheets to create a consolidated timeline report. If you don't have OnePager Express, you can download a free trial and follow these step-by-step instructions to build your first multi-project timeline:
- Open your first Excel project plan. In the example below, you'll see that we have a simple schedule consisting of a task name, start date, and finish date:
Before importing multiple projects into OnePager Express, you'll also want to specify the project name for each task, and give each task a unique ID, as shown above. Now, replicate this same format across all the Excel spreadsheets you want to include in your multi-project Excel timeline.
- Double-click the OnePager Express icon on your desktop. From the Start screen that appears, choose New.
- Select one of your spreadsheets as the first Excel source file. Then, click the Add/Remove button to add the rest of your spreadsheets. In this example, we'll import three Excel project plans into one timeline. Once you've selected everything, hit OK.
- OnePager Express will launch an easy import wizard. Give your timeline a name, and then click the Edit Filter button if you want to choose which tasks appear in your timeline and which don't:
- In this example, we'll filter the three Excel files for tasks that start after January 1, 2017:
- Click OK then Next button to select which Excel fields you want to use in your timeline. For example, the "Start" column is a good choice for the start date of each task:
- Click on the Create new project view button. OnePager will import the task data from your selected Excel spreadsheets and create your multi-project timeline. After minor cosmetic adjustments, you'll get a multi-project timeline that looks like this, with all tasks lined up left-to-right in a timeline for each project:
That's it! From here, you can save OnePager Express timeline as a PowerPoint or PDF file to share with everyone else on your team.
OnePager Express allows you to customize your timeline, giving you the ability to:
- Change colors, symbols, fonts, and layouts
- Automatically group or color-code by resources, project phase, or any other Microsoft Excel data
- Show baseline dates and durations
- Add comment boxes, text boxes, curtains, or images to your project presentation
- Split into multiple pages for timelines with lots of detail
Using OnePager Express will allow you to create dynamic, multi-project timelines in minutes, all based on data you already have in Excel.15-Day