OnePager Express from Chronicle Graphics can import your Primavera P6 project plan and create rich, dynamic timelines and project reports in no time at all. To follow along, you can download a 15-day free trial of OnePager Express to see how it works.
Here's how to get started:
- Open your project plan in Primavera P6, as shown below. The default Gantt chart in Primavera P6 is difficult to read, and doesn't do a good job of summarizing your project plan:
- Export your Primavera P6 project schedule to Excel. OnePager Express will be able to import your project plan once it is converted to an Excel format.
- Primavera P6 gives you lots of options when you export to Excel. OnePager Express is pretty flexible, and can work with whatever data you decide to export from P6. We recommend exporting "Activity ID," "Activity Name," "Start" and "Finish," but in the example below, you'll see that you can include additional information from your P6 project plan as well:
In this case, we created a "OnePager Express" template to use with future Primavera P6 exports.
- Once you have exported your P6 plan, your Excel spreadsheet will look similar to the one shown below. This spreadsheet has been formatted a little to make it easier to read, but the default Primavera P6 export will work fine, too:
Note that we've added a column called "Show It" which allows you to filter your project plan. This allows you to display only a portion of your project plan that is relevant to your audience. You can add this filter in Excel, or in P6 itself, if you want to keep track of the filter in Primavera.
- Next, double-click the OnePager Express icon on your desktop. From the Start screen that appears, choose New. Choose your Excel spreadsheet as the source file for your timeline. This will launch the easy import wizard:
OnePager Express gives you the ability to give your project report a name, and to specify a snapshot or status date. As you update your Primavera P6 plan in future weeks or months, you can update your OnePager Express chart with a new snapshot of your project.
- The next page of the wizard will let you choose which columns from Primavera P6 you would like to use in your OnePager Express timeline:
- Finally, click the Create new project view button, and OnePager Express will create a dynamic project timeline based on the data you exported from Primavera P6:
Now, you can copy and paste your timeline into PowerPoint, or make edits to the layout of your report. You can also update your timeline to reflect changes that take place in your Primavera P6 project over time.
OnePager Express is the easiest way to summarize or present a Primavera P6 project in a simple timeline view. Because OnePager Express is a data-driven application, there are endless possibilities as to the types of timelines you can create from your Primavera P6 project plan.15-Day