These instructions illustrate how easy it is to build a project timeline in OnePager Pro. If you don’t already have OnePager Pro, please sign up for a 15-day free trial and try it out.
- Start with your project plan in Microsoft Project. This sample project plan has three different workstreams with a combination of tasks and milestones:
If you don't want to include your entire project plan on your timeline, use a flag field like Flag20 above to select which items to include in the project timeline.
- Launch OnePager Pro from your desktop or from the Microsoft Project Add-ins tab by clicking the OnePager Pro button:
- On the next screen, click NEW to start building your project timeline:
- This import wizard lets you configure how you you want your timeline to look, but for now, we can just take the defaults::
- After clicking Create New Chart, OnePager will build the first draft of your project timeline:
- The initial report is more of a Gantt chart than a timeline, so we want to adjust a few simple settings to change the layout. Start by going to Home > Chart Properties > Rows/Swimlanes. Instead of placing each task or milestone in its own row, we'll line things up left-to-right, with one row for tasks and another row for milestones:
If you want, you could collapse everything even further so that tasks and milestones sit on top of each other on one line, but it's a little easier to read this way.
- When you apply this change, OnePager adjusts your report from a Gantt chart to a timeline, like this:
- The next thing we want to do is to make the timeline more colorful. Adding color not only makes the timeline look more professional, but it also makes it easier to undertand. In this example, we want to assign a different color to the tasks in each of the three workstreams, but make all of the major milestones black. To do this, we'll use conditional formatting. This is under Home > Chart Properties > Task Bars > Manage Rules:
- Apply these changes, and your project timeline will get a splash of color:
From here, you can continue to fine-tune your formatting, or you can save your project timeline to PDF or PowerPoint to share it with other members of your team.
Build your project timeline today by downloading a free trial, complete with our world-class end user support.15-Day