OnePager Express, presentation software for Microsoft Excel, is the easiest way to create and maintain timelines and Gantt charts for multiple projects. If you don’t already have OnePager Express, you can download a 15-day free trial to see how it works.
- Start with a set of Excel spreadsheets, one for each of your projects. Each of your spreadsheets should have columns for Task Name, Start Date, and Finish Date; other information is optional.
If you have a large set of tasks, you can filter them before creating your report, but in this case, we'll import everything.
- Now just double-click the OnePager Express icon on your desktop. From the Start screen that appears, choose New.
- Select one of your spreadsheets as the first Excel source file. Then, click the Change... button to launch the Data source selection dialog box, from which you can add the other files (as many as you like). Hit OK.
- Then, give your portfolio report a name and type in a status/snapshot date as shown below:
- Click Next to decide which columns from your Excel spreadsheet you want to import:
- Now, click on the Create new project view button and the following graphic will appear:
In this portfolio view, each project gets its own swimlane, and the tasks for each project are color-coded separately for maximum readability.
- You can now take this project portfolio view and copy it into a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, email it to the team, or paste it into a Microsoft Word document for a customer.
That's just the beginning! Here's what else you can do:
- Use conditional formatting to quickly choose different shapes and color based on status, resource, or anything else
- Update the same report (without starting over) when your portfolio changes to quickly get an updated snapshot
- Group and sort your portfolio like a pivot chart based on any data in your portfolio (e.g. phase, customer, etc.)
- Create a standard template for other portfolios so all of your reporting is consistent