OnePager Express builds Gantt charts using multiple project schedules from Primavera P6, like this:
OnePager Express uses an Excel export of multiple Primavera P6 projects to create your Gantt chart. If you don't already have OnePager, download a free trial and follow the steps below.
- Start in Primavera P6, where you have multiple project schedules. In this example, we will use Project A and Project B:
- Next, export your Primavera P6 projects to Excel. To do this, navigate to File > Export and pick the Spreadsheet - (XLSX) option. Click Next.
- For your Export Type, choose Activities and click Next. Select both Project A and Project B for export and then hit Next once more:
- If you've already built an Excel export template in P6 for something else, you can use that. If you don't have an Excel template yet, you can set up a custom one for OnePager. Your Gantt chart will look best if you include these fields from P6::
- Finish the export to Excel from Primavera. Each project plan from Primavera P6 will create a separate Excel file.
- RECOMMENDATION: When Primavera P6 exports schedules to Excel, it creates two sets of column headers. The second row is more user-friendly. You can use either header, but we recommend removing the first row so that the user-friendly names move to the top row. Make sure to do this for BOTH Excel files:
- Double-click the OnePager Express icon on your desktop to start building your multi-project Gantt chart:
- On the start screen, hit NEW to create a new multi-project Gantt chart:
- On the next screen, click Select and then Browse Files to pick up your exports from Primavera P6.
- Pick your first project schedule, then click Add/Remove to attach the rest of them. Once all of your projects are shown, click OK
- Name your Gantt chart, select one of OnePager's multi-project templates, and then click Next:
- Double-check to make sure that OnePager has chosen the correct fields from P6 to use in your Gantt chart. Make any necessary changes, and then click on Create new Project View to build the report.
- OnePager will import both of your Primavera P6 schedules and create an initial Gantt chart. We'll want to make a few customizations to get it to look the way we want.
- To group and sort your Gantt chart into swimlanes by project name, go to Home > Project View Properties > Rows/Swimlanes and change your swimlane settings to group by the "Project Name" field from Primavera P6:
- This will give you a project-by-project Gantt chart, which is what we need:
After building your draft Gantt chart, you can fine-tune the formatting, including color, layout, time units, and a lot more. You can even insert additional project schedules from Primavera P6 if you need to expand your Gantt chart to include more projects than you originally used.15-Day