OnePager Pro is presentation software for Microsoft Project that creates timelines with swimlanes in seconds instead of hours. To learn more, you can watch a video tutorial on this topic. Or, you can download a free trial and follow these step-by-step instructions, complete with examples of timelines made in OnePager Pro:
- Start with your Microsoft Project plan. The plan below outlines the tasks by the different deployment sites, which we'll use for swimlanes in this example:
- If you want to show a sub-set of tasks, you can set up a filter column ("Flag 20" above) to specify the tasks and milestones that you want to include in your timeline. You can also set up custom rules (e.g. import anything assigned to Bob that is behind schedule).
- Next, double-click the OnePager Pro icon on your desktop. From the Start screen that appears, choose New.
- Choose your Microsoft Project plan as the source file for your OnePager Gantt chart.
- OnePager Pro will launch an easy import wizard. Let's give our example timeline a name decide how much information from Microsoft Project we want to import:
- Click on the Create new project view to create a timeline:
The swimlanes on our example project timeline already look great, and are easy for everyone to understand. But if you want to make minor changes to the groupings or layout, it's easy to customize!
- To change how your swimlanes are laid out, go to Home > Project-View Properties and go to the Rows & Swimlanes tab. In this example, we'll collect multiple tasks into the same swimlane, by making the change shown below:
- We can also go over to the Task Bars tab to color-code the bars by task type instead of resource names:
- When you click OK, your swimlanes will be redrawn in a completely different style without having to change anything in Microsoft Project:
OnePager Pro is the easiest way to create timelines with swimlanes that are ready for PowerPoint. Visio swimlanes are a thing of the past, as is creating timelines by hand in PowerPoint.15-Day